(Revised and approved 10/10/2014)
I. Membership Qualifications for the Academy of Mechanical & Aerospace Engineers
A. Active members shall be limited to living individuals who were duly elected and subject to the following conditions:
1. Each candidate shall hold a degree in Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering or Engineering Mechanics from the Missouri University of Science and Technology granted at least 20 years prior to election.
2. Each candidate shall be recognized as a leader worthy of emulation who is interested in enhancing the reputation of the MAE program at the Missouri University of Science and Technology.
3. Each candidate who is elected to membership shall be present for induction at the first induction ceremony held after said election. An Elected Member who accepts but who cannot be present at the Induction Ceremony may elect to be inducted at the next/other annual Induction Ceremony.
B. Honorary members shall be living or deceased individuals who are duly elected and subject to the following conditions:
1. A person to be considered for honorary membership shall be one who, though they may not be a graduate of the Missouri University of Science and Technology in the MAE program, possesses the qualities necessary for Active Membership in the Academy.
2. Each shall have had the unanimous approval of the Directors and a majority vote of the Membership Committee.
3. At no time shall the number of living Honorary Members exceed ten (10) percent of the total number of Active Members.
4. Honorary Members shall have all of the rights, privileges and responsibilities of Active Members except that they shall not be Officers or Directors of the Academy.
5. Honorary Members may be inducted without being present at the Induction Ceremony.
C. Missouri S&T MAE graduates and others who are employees of the MAE department will not be considered for active or honorary membership in the Academy until they are no longer employees of the Department
II. Nominations for Membership in the Academy of Mechanical & Aerospace Engineers
A. Prior to the nominating process each year the Board of Directors will determine the goal for a desired number of new members to be inducted for one year.
B. The Chairman of the Membership Committee shall request of all Active members such nominations as they care to make. Such nominations shall be for individuals qualified under Article I.A or I.B of these bylaws. Such nominations shall be accompanied by data substantiating the nominee’s qualifications.
III. Selection for Membership in the Academy of Mechanical & Aerospace Engineers
A. The Membership Committee shall select the desired number of potential members from a list of nominees, based on the goal established by the Board of Directors. The list of nominees shall be developed based on information provided by the University and the recommendations provided by the membership. This overall list shall be reviewed by the Membership Committee and the selection will be based on the following:
1. Meeting the requirements of Article I.A or I.B of the bylaws.
2. Review of profile sheets provided by the University.
3. Information provided by an Academy Member.
B. Potential nominees will be presented by the Membership Committee at the April Board of Directors meeting or conference call. After approval by the Board of Directors of the Membership Committee selected nominees, the President of the Academy, Membership Committee or other designee shall notify the nominees of their selection and extend to each of them an invitation to join the Academy.
C. The Membership Committee will confirm new members at the August Board of Directors meeting or conference call. At that time, the Board of Directors will confirm new members. Majority approval by the quorum is required for confirmation.
D. New members will be inducted at the annual meeting.
E. In the event that time constraints do not allow the nomination process to proceed as outlined above, it is the responsibility of the Membership Committee Chairman to request approval for special handling from the Academy President.
IV. Organization of the Academy of Mechanical & Aerospace Engineers
A. Meetings of the Membership
1. An Annual Meeting of the membership shall be held at such time and at such place as shall be determined by the Board of Directors.
2. There shall be an Induction Ceremony for the purpose of inducting newly elected members, and it shall usually be held in conjunction with the Annual Meeting at a time and place determined by the Board of Directors.
3. There may be other meetings or conference calls as shall be determined either by the Board of Directors or by a petition signed by one-third of the Active Members who shall require the Board of Directors to call such meetings.
4. Each meeting shall be announced by mail thirty (30) days prior to the date of the meeting.
B. Quorum at the Membership Meetings
1. A quorum shall consist of thirty (30) percent of the Active Members or of eighteen (18) Active Members whichever is less.
2. Every act or decision made either when a majority of the membership is present Or when a quorum is present shall be an act of the membership.
1. The Board of Directors for each Academy year shall consist of the President, First Vice President, Second Vice President, Secretary/Treasurer and all of the Committee Chairpersons for each Academy year. In addition, the immediate PastPresident shall also serve as ex-officio on the Board of Directors. The Chairman of the Mechanical Engineering Department shall also serve as an ex-officio member of the Board of Directors assuming responsibilities of communication, balloting, and other detailed activities under the direction of the Board of Directors.
2. Each vacancy on the Board of Directors occurring from death or resignation shall be filled at the next Annual meeting of the Academy. The President with the approval of the Board of Directors will appoint a Director to complete the unexpired Academy year term for each vacancy.
1. The Officers of the Academy of Mechanical & Aerospace Engineers shall be a President, a First Vice President, a Second Vice President and a secretary/ Treasurer. They shall be nominated and elected by and from the Active Membership.
2. The President shall serve as president of the Academy of Mechanical & Aerospace Engineers and as President of the Board of Directors. Following his term as president, he shall serve one year as the Immediate Past-President Director as provided in Paragraph IV.C.1.
3. The First Vice President shall succeed to the Presidency in the event that the office is vacated.
4. The normal progression to the office of President shall be from Second Vice President to First Vice President to President
5. The president shall, with the approval of the Board of Directors, appoint replacements to fill officer vacancies.
6. The Officers shall have such duties as are necessary for the purposes and functions of the organization and such duties as are assigned by the Board of Directors.
7. The Officers shall serve without compensation but shall be reimbursed for expenses incurred, if such expenses are authorized and approved by the President and approved by the Board of Directors.
1. The Board of Directors shall authorize and the President shall appoint such Committees as are necessary to advance the purposes and business of the Academy.
2. The Past President, current President and First Vice President shall act as the nomination committee and shall present a slate of candidates for election as Directors and Officers at the Annual Meeting. This slate once ratified by the Board of Directors shall be presented for vote to the membership at the annual membership meeting. Additional nominations may be made by any member present at the Annual Meeting. There will be no vote by proxy and a majority of the membership or of a quorum present shall elect.
3. Each Committee shall maintain a Chairman and Vice-Chairman. Additionally, each committee will be assigned one of the academy officers as a committee advisor.
4. The Committee Chairman is responsible for determining the number of committee members necessary to execute both the tactical and strategic assignments as outlined in the academy strategic plan.
V. Limitations and Procedures for the Academy of Mechanical & Aerospace Engineers
A. The Board of Directors may remove from the Academy any member upon receipt of a signed petition from at least ten (10) percent of the Active Members. Such removal may not be enacted until such times as the Board and the membership have heard the appeal of the member so petition if such hearing is requested by the aggrieved member.
B. The bylaws may be amended at any annual meeting at which such intentions has been a part of the notice of the meeting. The amendment will be adopted if it carries the favorable recommendation of any of the Directors and is approved in a ballot by a majority of the membership of a quorum present.
C. The members of the Academy of Mechanical & Aerospace Engineers shall not be responsible for any indebtedness or liability incurred by or for any acts performed by any member or individual who is in attendance at any annual or special meeting, outing, or social activity of the Academy.
VI. Financial Requirements
A. The Academy of Mechanical & Aerospace Engineers shall be self-supporting. It shall use only those Monies that are exclusively reserved for it in a University account. Said monies shall accrue from contributions made or solicited by the members.
B. The Board of Directors shall adopt an annual budget, which shall be reported to the active members. This budget will provide the Chairman of the Mechanical Engineering Department at the Missouri University of Science and Technology with direction for the expenditure of monies from the account in the name of the Academy.
C. The Officers and Directors shall instruct the Secretary/Treasurer in such efforts that he shall make annually to maintain funds in the Academy of Mechanical & Aerospace Engineers account pursuant to Article IV.D of the “STATEMENT OF AGREEMENT AND UNDERSTANDING CONCERNING THE ACADEMY OF MECHANICAL & AEROSPACE ENGINEERS.”
VII. Recognition and Awards
A. A plaque or certificate of membership in the Academy will be awarded to each Active and Honorary Member [the words (living or deceased) are omitted] at the Induction Ceremony.
B. Each member of the Academy shall be prominently displayed in the Mechanical Engineering Building at the Missouri University of Science and Technology.
C. A current biographical sketch limited to one hundred fifty (150) words of each Honorary and Active Member of the Academy will be maintained in the Department of Mechanical Engineering at the Missouri University of Science and Technology, where it will be accessible to the students.
Approved at the10-10-2014 Annual Meeting